PAINTINGS BY AMANDA BARRETT
Suffolk Artist: painting in acrylics and oils - landscapes and portraits
The practice of Amanda’s art is inspired by the following 3 topics:
Painting from observation – Plein Air for landscapes and direct observation of a model for portraits. I am interested in finding an unsual view or subject matter.
Exploration of technique focusing on rhythm – rhythm is achieved through mark making – the use of free flowing brush strokes, change of direction, length of stroke and speed of application in order to sculpt an image with paint.
Colour – experimenting with the effects of transparency and under painting in different colours. Building up an image using layers, using Acrylic paints only or by using a combination of acrylic under painting and oils on top.
Exhibitions: See Exhibitions and Events
Art Training: British Institute Florence: Certificate in Renaissance Art, Brighton Art College: Foundation Painting, Chelsea School of Art BA Graphic Design. My art practice: I am from the era when art colleges actively encouraged abstract interpretation and experimentation over figurative art (meaning anything representational was out and not encouraged). I gave up “fine art” due to my college experience moving to Graphic Design for the next 30 years. It is only now 2019 onwards that I started returning to painting.
Inspirational People I would like to Thank
Huge thanks to the following people who have one way or another helped me in my development as an artist:
The Laoty Team including Kathleen Soriano, Tai Shan Schierenberg, Kate Bryan and Joan Bakewell for giving me the best experience ever by selecting my work to compete in Landscape artist of the Year. Trevor Osborne who kick-started me back into painting through his inspirational teaching, James Colman founder of Paint Out whose vision has inspired many to leave their studios and come outside and just paint!, Michael Carlo RA who showed me the art of not being precious through wood cutting and print making. And my father John Barrett who from the most disadvantaged start fought through the depression to achieve his ambition, he taught me to learn from setbacks, be true to your instincts and be up for the challenge whatever the outcome!
Exhibitions & Events 2021
- Landscape Artist of the Year 2021 Pod contestant in Episode 3 airing on 27th January 2021
- Paint Out Norfolk, 16 July – 24 July 2021 50-60+ Plein Air artists touring Norfolk’s rivers and towns, coast and countryside. Prizes and Open Air Exhibition of completed works at Whitlingham Country Park, Trowse, Norwich.
2020 Painting Exhibitions & Events
- 3rd Place Paint Out Norfolk, 16-23 July “Berney Arms Windmill and Breydon Water” won third prize out of 400 paintings by 48 artists
- Art in the Open, Wexford, Ireland, 25 july – 3 August – Due to the Coronavirus outbreak I am unable to travel to Ireland so have had to withdraw from this years event. I hope to apply next year .
2019 Painting Exhibitions & Events
- Paint Out Cambridge
- Paint Out Wells
- IBBAS Society Plein Air Competition 2nd place
- Paint Out Norfolk Gardens Judges Commendation
CHATS ABOUT PAINTING
Sharing: learning, events, work & advice for plein air and portrait painters